When you're stuck at the airport
Never been stuck at the airport! 🙏🏽🎊🙌🏽
I’m glad I can rely on you to keep me up to date on all the goings on!
Too old to be a fan and my kids didn’t come across D&K much.
It’s a little surprising I’ve never been stuck in an airport for longer than a normal amount of stuckness so haven’t had to totally hunker down.
1. I was stuck at Heathrow overnight... and I summoned all of my wit & charm to con my way into a fancy lounge and I'm not even anyone important, but it was glorious because there was a pristine, spa-like shower, so I got to scrub the "plane" grime off myself, change into clean soft things, and then pass out on a cloud of cashmere sofa until there was hot coffee and croissants being served... it was THE LIFE. 2. I forking loved her in The Good Place. He bugs me a little... I'm not sure why, but I admire them for sticking it out together. I think they might have just been trying to give their kids a memorable family adventure... and the airport folks should have rolled with it and been more charming??? 3. I have met loads of famous people b/c of my work... I think one of my favorite moments was with Bill Murray backstage at Six Degrees of Separation on Broadway. He was so unabashedly funny and sweet and just himself. I know he's in trouble for some recent faux-pas on a set, but I loved learning from him as a young punk, comedy writer.
3. Yes. King Charles. Princess Anne. But then our monarchy is always more celeb than Hollywood alphabet listers.
Surprisingly, I've only been stuck at an airport once. I say surprisingly, because in Wellington the airport gets closed due to bad weather (either fog or gale force winds) reasonably often. But I found a nearby hotel to stay in. I've no idea who Dax and Kristen are. Very limited knowledge and experience of celebrities. Once a TV gardening presenter came to my work to film a segment (I worked in a botanical collection). There were two film crew and her, and she made the coffee in my work kitchen. I like to think it was because she was a down-to-earth person and not because she was the woman in the group.
Fortunately, I've never been stuck at an airport and, yes, I'd buy a day pass to a lounge at a minimum if I were ever to be stuck. Not so much fans of either Dax or Kristen; I find them to be pleasantly beige. (Aren't they the ones who don't bathe their kids until they stink?) And I've met my fair share of celebrities. I suppose the most interestingly awkward was meeting Hugh Grant and having some birthday cake with him right before the infamous incident on Sunset...then meeting him again (no cake this time) when he came out of hiding. xo
1. Yes. Had an early flight ~ 530 AM. Arrived at A/P around 8 PM. Had a reservation at A/P hotel. Bunch of SNAFUs led to not being squared away until about 1 AM (airport nonsense). By time I would get to hotel it would be 130 AM and I'd need to leave back for terminal at 4 AM -- slept on the floor with a makeshift bed. Neck pillow saved the day. Never travel w/o them.
2. Familiar with Kristen Bell, don't know Dax. Have no idea who is married to who.
3. Yes. Too long of a story I think. Politicians are tops b/c their whole deal is making you think they care. Bill Clinton has an enormous head -- disconcerting
1. No, thankfully. But that's probably because I prefer to drive everywhere, even 30 hours to get to California. With kids.
2. I'm a fan of The Good Place. I also get a kick out of the couple's commercials.
3. I saw Ronald Reagan once. I was at the back of a gym full of elementary kids in a school on an Air Force base in Germany. I think he was supposed to speak, but he only had time to come in and smile and wave. Which was still pretty cool for a fourth grader in the 80s.
I actually heard Dax's podcast where he explained the whole story of getting stuck at the airport with a group of 8 people (including kids). I think he was interviewing Tig Notaro (she is funny!) Anyhow, it was a whole ordeal thing. It appears they were prepared to hunker down for the night in the waiting area by the gate with their fellow plane mates and bought the neck pillows and blankets for a whole crew of people that were also stuck (thus the big bill). In the end, the whole group of them got kicked out of the waiting area at midnight and ended up driving far and wide to stay at people's houses they didn't know. So, you aren't far off with your daughter's place scenario. I can't remember why the hotels were full near the airport, but there was some reason or another. I don't remember Dax from any movies, just from his podcast.
I have been stuck at airports and went straight to the lounge (although I hear they are putting time limits on how long you can stay in lounges now!) I met Pamela Anderson (she is gorgeous up close too) and David Foster and his then wife Yolanda Hadid, here on Vancouver Island. I was hanging out with Yolanda's kids when they were tweens and her young son. So, pre famous days when they were ordinary bored kids waiting for their parents to finish an event.
I've started many of the group hikes I lead with the ice breaker " Name the biggest or most memorable celebrity you've ever actually face to face met". Some of the people mentioned are amazing. For me it's Micky Dolenz of the Monkeys and AAron Judge the baseball player.
My flight was canceled recently and I had to make my way home in a roundabout fashion + overnight layover. I didn’t go get a hotel either and instead chose to lie down in one of the hard plastic airport chairs. It wasn’t fun and time passed extra slowly but I also didn’t want to go out, get a hotel, wake up in a couple of hours, and go through the security line again. I just stayed there. Yes, my neck hurt (no neck pillow because all the stores had closed) but I told myself going out would’ve been worse!
I've never been stuck at the airport because I don't fly. I've had to be on a plane maybe three or four times in my life, and got violently airsick every time. 🤢 I always have a book with me wherever I go for just such contingencies, though, so if I were stuck, I would sit and read for a few - or many - hours.
I'm two years shy of being medically defined "elderly." I have no idea who Dax and Kristen are, but they look like good kids. I would have let them have our couches and wouldn't have tied up Dax's family. 😂 But I live way out in the boonies of New Hampshire, so that offer wouldn't have helped.
I've met Cade Coleman and her hubby, Josh Simpson. My husband fixed Josh's computer - he gave us a vase that he'd made and a planet marble to each of our kids (he's a glass blower). Cade gave us autographed photos and Space Shuttle badges (you already know what she does! 😉). They are super nice people!
I don't know Dax Shepard but I loved Kristen Bell in The Good Place. Would happily have put her up! Except oh wait, I don't live in Boston. Thanks for the funny story!